Organic Herbal Vinegar Recipe
Herbal vinegar has become a culinary staple. It is very diverse and can be made from a wide variety of herbs.
Here is a great recipe from Herbalist, Tammi Hartung, author of Homegrown Herbs- A Complete Guide To Growing, Using and Enjoying More than 100 Herbs. Make sure that you use ONLY organic vinegar. Listen to Tammi’s interview to learn why it is important to only use organic vinegars.
Herbal Vinegar Recipe
- Herbs to choose from can include lemon balm, sage, thyme, basil, ginger, any mint, parsley, or rosemary. Feel free to mix and match according to your tastes.
- Sterilized jars with lids (pint sized)
- Organic apple cider vinegar or you may use organic wine vinegar, organic rice vinegar or organic balsamic vinegar
- In a perfectly clean pint size canning jar add fresh herbs, coarsely chopped. Herbs to choose from can include lemon balm, sage, thyme, basil, ginger, any mint, parsley, or rosemary. Feel free to mix and match according to your tastes.
- Next fill the jar with a vinegar of your choice. I use organic apple cider vinegar, but wine vinegar, rice vinegar or balsamic vinegar will all work equally well.
- Cap tightly with a clean lid and label completely with all of the ingredients and the date.
- Allow to sit on the windowsill or counter top for 10-14 days.
- After 10-14 days, strain the vinegar through a tea strainer and reserve the liquid. Compost the used herbs.
- Pour the herbal vinegar liquid back into a clean bottle or jar and again label completely, this time adding a 1 year expiration date. Best stored in the refrigerator.
- To use: add 1 Tablespoon over the top of salad, steamed vegetables and grains, or add to the cooking pot of dried beans.