Homemade Taco Seasoning
2 Tbsp chili powder
1/2 t garlic powder
1/2 t onion powder
1/2 t red pepper flakes (Aleppo peppers would add a wonderful depth of flavor)
1/2 t oregano
1 t paprika
1 Tbsp cumin
2 1/2 t salt (I recommend Real Salt.)
2 t pepper
1. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl.
2. Mix well.
3. Store in a tightly closed container.
– For a seasoning with a bit more “heft” to it, add about 1 t flour or starch of choice to the mix. Of course, if you use a whole grain flour, you will want to store the resulting mixture in the refrigerator ’cause whole grains will spoil at room temp.
– Use approximately 2 Tbsp taco seasoning mix for each pound of ground meat (or to taste, of course. Some people may prefer 1 Tbsp, others up to 4 Tbsp).
– As with other taco seasonings, either use the mixture as is, or add approx. 3/4 cup water to the beef and seasoning mixture to make a more “saucy” beef.
– You can also flavor beans, like lentils, with this mixture. About 2 cups of cooked beans will be the equivalent of one pound of ground beef.